Pharmacy Technician - Full Time
Magee Rehabilitation Hospital opened in 1958 as the first free-standing rehabilitation hospital in Philadelphia. The Hospital has over 600 employees and is nationally recognized for outstanding programs in physical and cognitive rehabilitation, with comprehensive services for spinal cord injury, brain injury, stroke, orthopedic replacement, amputation, pain management and work injury. Magee serves as the federally designated Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of Delaware Valley. Only 14 such centers exist in the country. Magee is a founding member of The Christopher Reeve Foundation NeuroRecovery Network, which provides state of the art rehabilitation therapy.
JOB SUMMARY: The Magee Pharmacy Technician assists the Staff and Clinical Pharmacists in the overall preparation and distribution of medications and performs duties under the direction and professional judgment of the Pharmacists.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the Supervision of the Clinical & Staff Pharmacists:
- Accurately pulls medications from the Pharmacy inventory and stocks the Automated Dispensing Cabinet (Pyxis) machines in a timely manner
- Accurately pre-packs bulk medications in accordance with good manufacturing procedures
- Preparation of IV’s as per USP 797 guidelines and in accordance with Aseptic Technique Policy and Procedure
- Delivers patient specific medications, parenteral products, and floor stocked IV fluids to Pyxis machines and nursing stations in a timely manner
- Performs routine removal of medications due to reach expiration
- Orders medications in accordance with contracted product identification
- Orders & restocks supplies from purchasing
- Maintains emergency medication drawer exchange for code carts and assures appropriate dating.
- Stocks daily drug order and manages inventory turnover
- Performs routine Pyxis return bin emptying and reconciliation
- Handles employee prescriptions
- Handles drug recalls in a timely manner
- Troubleshoots Pyxis & refrigerator problems
- Maintains the orderliness of the Pharmacy
- Answers telephones and assists nurses and staff at the Pharmacy window
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Applicable assigned staff/prepare invoices for payment
- Completes all competencies as required by Pharmacy Department
- Assures patient confidentiality and adheres to HIPPA guidelines
Primary Customers & Key Working Relationships:
- Staff Pharmacists
- Director of Pharmacy
- Pharmacy Students
- Nursing Personnel
- Purchasing Personnel
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Lifting and moving light/medium weight cartons/containers
- High School Degree required
- Pharmacy Technician Certification required with registration with the Pennsylvania State Board of Pharmacy
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience as a Pharmacy Technician, preferably in an acute care setting or equivalent. IV mixture experience required.
- Experience working with Automated Dispensing Cabinet (ADC) required
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Prioritization and multi-tasking skills required. Must be able to work in a team-oriented setting with limited supervision.
- Must have general competence in software application including use of Outlook, Word and Excel and electronic medical record and other hospital software.
- Use of Pharmacy software experience preferred.
- General hospital exposure. Must follow standard precautions.