Patient Services Representative - Magee Outpatient Clinic
Magee Rehabilitation Hospital opened in 1958 as the first free-standing rehabilitation hospital in Philadelphia. The Hospital has over 600 employees and is nationally recognized for outstanding programs in physical and cognitive rehabilitation, with comprehensive services for spinal cord injury, brain injury, stroke, orthopedic replacement, amputation, pain management and work injury. Magee serves as the federally designated Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of Delaware Valley. Only 14 such centers exist in the country. Magee is a founding member of The Christopher Reeve Foundation NeuroRecovery Network, which provides state of the art rehabilitation therapy.
The Magee Patient Services Representative provides administrative support to the Magee Outpatient Clinic and Physician Practice and is responsible for patient registration, verification, reception and clerical services.
- Greets and receives patients and families in the Outpatient waiting area and the registration desk in a pleasant and efficient manner.
- Completes initial intake and registration process when patients arrive with accuracy and completeness including collecting copays and proper documentation.
- Responsible to obtain complete insurance verifications for all outpatients in a timely matter and re-verifications as appropriate.
- Assures that PCP and Managed Care authorization forms are appropriate and completed to assure proper reimbursement for the visit.
- Creates accounts and referrals in CPSI and Rexpert.
- Prints daily appointment schedules and disperses them to the appropriate personnel and departments.
- Prepares necessary documentation for visits including encounter forms and all necessary documents as required for the type of visit.
- Completes the PA PDMP query process, prints the required form and verifies with the documentation link in Rexpert.
- Explains all documents and financial responsibility to patients using friendly, customer service skills.
- Maintains efficient flow of patients from registration area to the examination rooms.
- Handles multiple incoming and outgoing calls in a timely and polite manner, takes accurate and detailed messages for the clinicians, and directs callers to appropriate staff members. Notifies clinicians of emergency problems using proper judgement.
- Schedules patients for appointments according to established procedures. Maintains current and accurate physician scheduling documents to assure that patients are assigned to the correct physicians at the proper times and dates.
- Calls to confirm patient evaluation appointments.
- Uses knowledge of medical terminology to accurately transcribe prescription line medication information.
- Assists transportation company and van drivers in locating patients.
- Distributes mail, faxes, and other documentation in a timely manner.
- Maintains open channels of communication with colleagues and administratively supports and keeps the Gaspar Outpatient Clinic Manager informed and apprised of all pertinent issues.
- Executes best practice initiatives to maintain and improve patient satisfaction.
- Completes all mandatory educational programs such as Healthstream. Attends required meetings, in-services or programs. Participates in performance improvement programs and patient satisfaction initiatives.
- Utilizes effective interpersonal skills in all interactions including a high degree of diplomacy and tact in dealing with patients, caregivers, other individuals, health professionals, and co-workers.
- Must possess a customer service approach to meeting the needs of both internal and external customers in terms of quality and timeliness of work completion. Performs duties and exhibits behaviors consistent with the care philosophy of Magee Rehabilitation Hospital.
- Demonstrates awareness of professional responsibility as a role model to peers and members of the health care team. Has the ability to prioritize and make appropriate decisions as necessary.
- Requires excellent verbal, written, telephonic communication, and triaging skills which involve interactions with patients, peers, professionals, and/or the general public. Must be able to communicate articulately and comprehend written and verbal communications in English. Must have a customer service approach to meeting the needs of both internal and external customers in terms of quality and timeliness of work completion.
- Must be able to function in a dynamic, rehabilitation team work environment. Contacts include: patients/families, nurses, caregivers, physicians, interdisciplinary team members, students, outside physician’s offices, referring agencies and case managers.
- Assists with other duties as required to promote the clinic’s function.
- High School graduate or GED equivalency certificate.
- Course-work in patient accounting/medical terminology preferred.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a medical clerical/secretarial position, preferably in a high volume clinical practice or hospital setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology. Medical/Administrative course work preferred.
- Knowledge of insurance plans, patient registration and scheduling practices.
- Experience with computerized registration/scheduling systems.
- Typing ability to rapidly enter demographic and insurance data into a PC. Prior experience with Microsoft Office software required.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks and interact with clinicians, patients and administrative staff at all levels.
- Prior experience working in a customer service role or position where interpersonal and diplomatic skills are utilized.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Excellent customer relations skills.
- Works in well-lit, well ventilated environment.
- Moves about intermittently throughout the day.
- Spends much of the shift doing computer work.