Guest Relations Representative
Magee Rehabilitation Hospital opened in 1958 as the first free-standing rehabilitation hospital in Philadelphia. The Hospital has over 600 employees and is nationally recognized for outstanding programs in physical and cognitive rehabilitation, with comprehensive services for spinal cord injury, brain injury, stroke, orthopedic replacement, amputation, pain management and work injury. Magee serves as the federally designated Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of Delaware Valley. Only 14 such centers exist in the country. Magee is a founding member of The Christopher Reeve Foundation NeuroRecovery Network, which provides state of the art rehabilitation therapy.
We are currently seeking a Guest Relations Representative to deliver superior customer service to the patients, families and staff, who will go above and beyond expectations to create an exceptional patient experience by demonstrating REACH (respect, excellence, positive attitude, collaboration and hospitality). This essential role in the Guest Relations department works diligently to make a positive first impression to all customers of Magee Rehabilitation by interacting in a warm, friendly and caring manner. Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to, courteous assistance while receiving patients and visitors at the front desk, demonstrating professional phone etiquette with every caller, and safe and courteous patient transport and rounding within the hospital setting, and on occasion may provide a variety of transport services to patients and family members via courtesy shuttle and assist with family gatherings. The Guest Relations Representative must keep a professional and uniformed appearance at all times while on duty.
Demonstrates the ability to calmly and courteously interact with individuals who are stressed, anxious or upset and exercises maturity and sound judgment in accommodating the needs of patients, families, visitors within reason and within hospital policies.
- Reads and follows all procedures as outlined and updated in the Front Desk Policies and Procedures Handbook saved to the Guest Relations SharePoint Site.
- Welcomes new patients as they enter the building and directs them to their room number as per the admissions report.
- Welcomes guests as they enter the building. Issues badges to visitors/vendors and provides assistance to those needing directions to a particular service, unit or conference room. Ensures visitors complete the electronic visitor management system, sign in sheets and collect badges upon departure.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Monitors the activities nearby the front door and Main Lobby. Reports Security concerns to the EOC Security representative on duty.
- Assists with the transport of patients throughout the facility when needed and operates the elevator.
- Assists/accompanies family, guests, visitors, etc. to other areas of the hospital as needed.
- Provides assistance when needed to visitors as they exit their vehicle. Provides assistance with wheelchairs, if needed. Maintains the lobby wheelchair sign-out sheet and tracks location of lobby wheelchairs.
- Ensures the safety and security of patients that they have the appropriate paperwork to exit the building for appointments and notes patient’s return; alerts appropriate departments in case of elopement attempts.
- Appropriately pages using the overhead system and completed rounds to locate party if no response.
- Is knowledgeable on how to call emergency codes using the telephone and code box systems.
- Displays an appropriate sense of urgency in response to visitor requests and/or complaints, and notifies supervisor immediately of situation.
- Demonstrates exceptional verbal, telephone and interpersonal communication skills so as to be able to communicate comfortably and effectively with the diverse population groups served by Magee.
- Answers incoming lines and connects calls to the appropriate department/person while safeguarding patient information and ensuring privacy in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Follows all visitor restrictions notices and appropriately maintains and manages the visitor log.
- Provides appropriate information pertaining to patients, such as visiting hours, room numbers and telephone extensions.
- Overhead pages when appropriate.
- Contacts Purchasing or appropriate department to receive deliveries to the hospital at the rear door.
- Assists in maintaining the “lost and found.”
- Ensures volunteers sign-in and have their badge and issue meal tickets for volunteers.
- Maintains readiness for visitors/surveyors from state and national organizations who may arrive unannounced.
- Supports the mission of the Hospital.
- Demonstrates compassion and sensitivity in the treatment of patients, staff and visitors.
- Maintains confidentiality as an expression of respect for the privacy and dignity of each person.
- Demonstrates knowledge and compliance with the Hospital Safety and Infection Control Policies and the Patient Safety Program.
- Helps to provide a safe environment for all patients, staff and visitors.
- Completes mandatory in-service education programs as required.
- Adheres to the hospital PPD and flu vaccination policy.
- Promotes good working relationships among staff and between departments and disciplines.
- Strong customer service skills/interpersonal interactions; project a positive, friendly demeanor in person as well as over the telephone; and to work effectively in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrates the ability to: safeguard patient information and ensure privacy in accordance with HIPAA regulations; to communicate tactfully with patients, family members, visitors and staff; and to adapt to fluctuating situations in a professional manner
- Demonstrates the ability to calmly and courteously interact with individuals who are stressed, anxious or upset and exercises maturity and sound judgment in accommodating the needs of patients, families, visitors within reason and within hospital policies;
- Displays an appropriate sense of urgency in response to visitor requests and/or complaints and provides service recovery.
- Demonstrates exceptional verbal and interpersonal communication skills so as to be able to communicate comfortably and effectively with the diverse population groups served by Magee.
- Demonstrates a high degree of respect and caring, commitment to diversity, integrity, responsibility, teamwork and a commitment to excellence as outlined in behavior expectations incorporating Magee’s REACH values (respect, excellence, positive attitude, collaboration and hospitality).
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language fluently.
- Possesses the ability to deal tactfully with staff, patients, family members, visitors, etc.
- Possesses the ability to adapt to fluctuating situations in a professional manner.
- Possesses the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Possesses strong customer service skills/interpersonal interactions.
- Projects a positive, friendly demeanor over the telephone, as well as in person.
- Demonstrates the ability to recognize customer needs and respond in a manner that exceeds our customer’s expectations.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule in order to provide adequate coverage
- Possesses the ability to work without close supervision.
- Must have a solid knowledge of the building, including location of events, conference rooms, room numbers, department locations, etc.
- Proficiency in using all Microsoft Office application and be able to switch efficiently between organization systems (Outlook, Internet, Microsoft Explorer and Office applications).
- May be required to provide transportation for patients and families when needed. This includes transportation to and from the airport, to and from appointments surrounding hospital admission, hotel, and outlying clinics. Arrange for transportation service when patient load demands additional assistance.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Bilingual preferred.
- Valid driver’s license is preferred, but not required.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a hospitality-focused setting. A healthcare background is preferred and knowledge of medical terminology is helpful.
Magee Rehabilitation Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Mail, Email or fax your resume to:
Magee Rehabilitation Hospital
1513 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102