Environment of Care Officer
Magee Rehabilitation Hospital opened in 1958 as the first free-standing rehabilitation hospital in Philadelphia. The Hospital has over 600 employees and is nationally recognized for outstanding programs in physical and cognitive rehabilitation, with comprehensive services for spinal cord injury, brain injury, stroke, orthopedic replacement, amputation, pain management and work injury. Magee serves as the federally designated Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of Delaware Valley. Only 14 such centers exist in the country. Magee is a founding member of The Christopher Reeve Foundation NeuroRecovery Network, which provides state of the art rehabilitation therapy.
The Magee Rehabilitation Environment of Care Officer works under the Environment of Care Supervisor. This individual is responsible for security of Magee assets, property and the safety of Magee patients, visitors, and staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains a log for all daily tasks performed and any issues that arise on a daily basis.
- Receives assignments from the Environment of Care Supervisor or Director of Plant Operations
- Enforces all hospital rules and regulations with all hospital employees, patients and visitors in a consistent, respectful manner at all times
- Responsible for recording all visitors of the hospital entering and exiting the hospital and ensuring they are properly authorized to enter the facility.
- Prevents the entry of unauthorized persons to enter the hospital
- Enforces hospital smoking and alcohol use policies as needed
- Ensures that all doors are locked and regularly makes guard rounds throughout the hospital
- Participates and assists responders to Code Blue, Code Silver & Rapid Response pages
- Ensures all staff and visitors have proper identification while at the facility
- Reports any potential dangerous situations to the front desk in the facility through regular rounding procedures
- Checks alarm system on all doors regularly.
- Responsible for monitoring the Hospital garage for any illegally parked vehicles. Controls traffic in garage as needed
- Monitors Hospital parking lot for safety and handicap violations
- Communicates regularly with Environmental Services staff members and Management to ensure the building is appropriately cleaned and all visible garbage is removed.
- Performs Environment of Care inspections and Preventative Maintenance inspections as assigned
- Performs Front Desk duties, following all procedures and policies
Primary Customers & Key Working Relationships:
- Magee employees & contractors
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Operates in a professional office environment. Sporadically uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Moderately a sedentary role. Required to move intermittently as needed throughout the day. Employee will be exposed to fluctuating outdoor temperatures while rounding and ensuring safety of the hospital grounds.
Experience & Education
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience in a security field preferred
- High School Degree required
- Experience working in a hospital or healthcare setting preferred
- Ability to work independently with minimal instruction
- Highly effective problem solving skills and professionalism to ensure a safe environment for all patients, staff and visitors.
- High level competence in secretarial, word processing, phone etiquette, spelling and grammar.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills required.
- General hospital exposure. Must follow standard precautions.