Director, Physician Services
Magee Rehabilitation Hospital opened in 1958 as the first free-standing rehabilitation hospital in Philadelphia. The Hospital has over 600 employees and is nationally recognized for outstanding programs in physical and cognitive rehabilitation, with comprehensive services for spinal cord injury, brain injury, stroke, orthopedic replacement, amputation, pain management and work injury. Magee serves as the federally designated Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of Delaware Valley. Only 14 such centers exist in the country. Magee is a founding member of The Christopher Reeve Foundation NeuroRecovery Network, which provides state of the art rehabilitation therapy.
JOB SUMMARY: The Magee Rehabilitation Director of Physician Services is responsible for implementing the mission, vision, policies, goals and objectives of Gaspar Clinic and Magee Rehabilitation Hospital. This position promotes the philosophy and goals of the organization, the development of team relationships and congruent rehabilitation practices. This position is responsible for Gaspar Outpatient Clinic, Admissions, Contract Negotiations (as a backup), Physician Practice Development and Marketing.
Physician Development (in collaboration with Medical Director)
- Explores development opportunities with Physicians that meet individual and practice/organizational needs. Must possess a broad understanding of various internal professional and leadership opportunities, new and varied projects, mentorship opportunities (both internal and external), development opportunities offered through professional groups, workshops/seminars, educational opportunities, and volunteer opportunities.
- Develops full assessment of individual Physicians’ existing attributes in a number of areas including: strengths, weaknesses, self-awareness, self-regulation, internal motivation, empathy, social skills, technical skills, aptitudes, attitudes, and desired areas of improvement.
- Assesses Practice and Organizational needs as related to Physician assessment.
- Develops written development plans agreed upon by all parties.
- Develops and implements clinic policies and procedures; coordinates efforts of medical staff and administrative staff in the recruitment, development, and performance evaluation of Physicians.
- Responsible for developing multiple education programs and projects that are crucial to the success of the Physicians to achieve the strategic goals of the organization.
- Assists in assessing current Physician practices and provides training and education on industry best practices.
- Oversees efforts for recruitment, on-boarding, development, and performance evaluation of employees in collaboration with the Medical Director and Director of Human Resources.
- Works cross-functionally with Administration, Marketing Department, Physicians and staff to analyze information and use that information to create and execute a marketing plan designed to increase services, margins and productivity.
- Responsible for developing an expansion plan with recommendations on expansion of service areas and development of new and profitable business ventures.
- Must understand changes in the marketplace, identify growth opportunities, and participate with Senior Leadership, Planning and Development and Marketing and Communications to maintain and increase market advantage.
Compensation and Employee Agreements
- Responsible for effectively developing Employee Agreements with Physicians that represent the operating agreement between the Organization and the Physician, including areas such as compensation, accepted behaviors, schedule expectations, on-call expectations, etc. Must be able to clearly articulate expectations for Physicians through the use of Employee Agreements.
- Must be able to define & articulate the driving forces behind compensation plans and Employee Agreements with Physicians including the alignment of Physician behavior that aligns with Departmental and Organizational Mission and Goals in a rapidly changing environment.
- Responsible for researching and understanding existing compensation plans and the performance of the plan in meeting stated goals.
- Collaborates with Physicians in developing and implementing a Compensation Model that appropriately utilizes measureable and behavioral subjective items directly tied to Departmental Mission and Goals. As appropriate, will determine a matrix of contingent pay that incentivizes desired behaviors amongst the myriad of options, such as Seniority, Quality (based on data such as health maintenance parameters), Patient satisfaction, Administration, Productivity (number of visits, percentage of practice volume, RVU-based, etc.), Citizenship, Panel size or Capitated lives, Special qualifications, Resource utilization, Overhead/Cost control.
- Performs Physician compensation calculations and reporting.
Outpatient Physician Practice Operations
- In conjunction with the Gaspar Clinic Manager, supervises non-clinical staff to ensure accurate daily co-payment collections are accounted for and correct; batches for co-pays and other collections are closed out daily; insurance verification, capitation and eligibility of services occurs with every patient episode.
- Develops an execution plan for the clinic that focuses on the provision of high-quality, cost-effective and efficient care for the outpatient physician clinic.
- Develops policies and procedures for efficient and effective management of the physician clinic along with the Clinic Manager.
- Holds overall accountability for the management of the front desk and nursing workflow and processes.
- Holds overall responsibility for management and daily operations of the Outpatient Clinic.
- Provides feedback to maintain appropriate staffing levels in the clinic in collaboration with the Clinic Manager.
- Identifies scheduling trends and cancellations and creates plan of action to minimize no-shows, cancellations.
- Works collaboratively with leaders in finance, Physicians, staff and other key stakeholders to execute strategic plans, implement and evaluate operational programs, processes, and initiatives pertaining to capture and reimbursement of patient revenue and best practices customer service and financial performance.
- Provides oversight of the practice billing company.
- Must effectively manage all departmental activities to assure the efficient and compliant registration, billing, coding, and cash flow. Effectively analyzes clinic activities, resources, and programs and determines optimal reimbursement opportunities. Implements process, compliance, and billing activities to ensure recoupment.
Interfacing with Residency Programs
- Provides guidance and education to faculty and staff concerning financial and administrative operations of an academic department; assures that all faculty and staff participate in required compliance training.
- Negotiates with affiliated medical schools concerning clinical residency programs.
- Interfaces with Graduate Medical Education (GME) Office to ensure the department is compliant and that the needs of residents are met.
- Must possess the ability to select and evaluate key performance indicators and to tie those indicators to financial targets and agreed upon individual Physician goals.
- Measures productivity and facilitates collaborative problem solving and communication with the Physicians and executive leadership.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates methods to ensure effective and efficient use of staff, facilities, equipment, and other resources while maintaining patient care standards.
- Calculates quarterly bonus distributions to Physicians using practice management reports to parse out productive CPTs and credit Legal Work. Maintains Excel workbooks for same. Maintains database of Legal Activity. Maintains data base of Physician compensation for use in disbursement of quarterly "hold-back” payments. Disburses to CFO, CMO, and CEO for approval.
Quality Indicators and Measurement of the Patient Experience
- Develops quality indicators in congruence with organizational Strategic Plan and in compliance with requirements for payment programs, regulatory bodies, accreditation agencies, partnerships, Accountable Care Organization affiliations.
- Actively manages the reporting requirements for compliance with all regulatory agencies governing health care delivery, rules of accrediting bodies, and partnership/Accountable Care Organization requirements for quality indicators.
- Must possess sensitivity to an increasingly regulated industry, and proven experience proactively responding to compliance obligations, the transition to electronic health records and associated meaningful use requirements and exemption provisions.
- Communicates and responds to real time patient and family concerns and/or complaints in a timely manner.
- Accountable for Patient Satisfaction Survey scores on patient access, pre-auth/pre-cert/pre-reg, and all other surveyed dimensions.
- Optimizes clinic operations and patient flow to ensure quality of care provided to patients, including serving as liaison to Guest Relations department.
- Arranges regular documentation audits; presents results to Physicians
- Remains current with documentation requirements to ensure accuracy of documentation and codes assigned based on documentation.
- Improves coding, specificity by educating Physicians, clinicians, and other involved parties regarding the necessity of providing complete and clear documentation.
- Assists the Coding Department when querying Physicians regarding unclear documentation.
Financial and Budget Management
- Must possess excellent financial analyst skills; plans and manages to agreed budgets and defined profit targets.
- Develops, justifies and maintains a fiscal plan (budget) for the practice. Monitors patient revenues, expenses and operating expenses (salaries and capital expense items) and provides appropriate reports to the Administrator/Physician.
- Works with Finance and Clinical Leaders to prepare the annual budget, monitors sections' performance in relation to budget, and develops strategies for improvement and/or the correction of deviations from budget.
- Monitors the profitability of each office or cost center, which could include: satellite offices, technical component services, or specialty divisions.
- Completes a full analysis of the fee schedule annually to maximize reimbursement.
- Enhances operational effectiveness, emphasizing cost containment without jeopardizing important innovation or quality of care.
- Transcribes Physician Hospital-based activity logs (Part A Activity) into Excel Workbooks and calculates totals disburses to Budget Director for use in Medicare Cost Report.
- Maintains detailed knowledge of practice management and other computer software as it relates to job functions.
- Collaborates with EMR/Informatics and IT Leadership to optimize system utilization, functionality and knowledge.
- Acts as a CMS expert and is responsible for compliance with all laws, regulations, policies and procedures as it relates to the Physician Practice and Gaspar Outpatient Center.
- In partnership with Revenue Cycle, Information Technology, Business Development, Finance, EMR/ Quality, Compliance and other Practice Leadership, participates in the strategic development, implementation and ongoing evaluation of compliance management infrastructure within the company and its Physician practices.
- Works with Quality Support Specialists to ensure that Environment of Care standards are met.
- Maintains compliance with HIPAA, OSHA, and Labor Laws.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Healthcare Management, Finance, or related field required. Master’s Degree (MBA, MHA) or CPA strongly preferred.
- Three to five years of Physician Practice management experienced required.
- Strong clinical, leadership, and management skills; good interpersonal and interdisciplinary relationships, a high level of initiative and creative problem solving ability.
- Current on recent rulings regarding MACRA, MIPS, Medicare and other payers.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Operates in a professional office environment. Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets scanners and fax machines.
Proficiency and accuracy with office technologies, specifically all Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, Excel, Adobe Pro, and PowerPoint.
General hospital exposure. Must follow standard precautions.