Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist
Magee Rehabilitation Hospital opened in 1958 as the first free-standing rehabilitation hospital in Philadelphia. The Hospital has over 600 employees and is nationally recognized for outstanding programs in physical and cognitive rehabilitation, with comprehensive services for spinal cord injury, brain injury, stroke, orthopedic replacement, amputation, pain management and work injury. Magee serves as the federally designated Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of Delaware Valley. Only 14 such centers exist in the country. Magee is a founding member of The Christopher Reeve Foundation NeuroRecovery Network, which provides state of the art rehabilitation therapy.
We are currently seeking a Full Time Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) to provide evaluation, treatment, and discharge of patients referred to the Therapeutic Recreation service. The CTRS is an integral professional to meet the leisure and recreational needs of patients.
- Plans, organizes, and implements recreation therapy to referred patients through individualized therapy sessions, group activities, leisure counseling and community outings for effective improvement in patient’s physical, mental, and social well-being.
- Manages a full patient caseload as defined by the program where the therapist provides services. This includes patient evaluations/re-evaluation, treatment planning and implementation, development of resources for discharge, discharge planning, patient/caregiver education, leading patient groups and documentation as specified by the program. This may also include reporting in patient care conference and participating in patient/family /team meetings.
- Provides services on assigned weekends and holidays.
- Supervises student interns, volunteers, and new staff members as assigned with regard to Recreation Therapy.
- Must be able to stand, walk, stoop, and lift in order to effectively treat patients.
- Must be able to exert 50 pounds of force while lifting patients and/or devices.
- Must be able to have sufficient standing balance to guard ambulatory patients.
- May participate in the planning and implementation of hospital wide recreational activities including special events, leisure outings and evening and weekend activities, and community support groups.
- Attends all appropriate meetings including department meetings, programmatic team meetings, unit meetings, and recreation therapy specific meetings.
- Participates in and leads appropriate departmental and interdepartmental inservice educational programs.
- May participate in clinical studies, reporting, publishing, and research projects on behalf of Magee.
- May represent the hospital and department at professional conferences and seminars.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an accredited College or University with a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Therapeutic Recreation.
- Valid certification from the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification. CPR certification required.
- 0-3 years’ experience as a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist; clinical experience in acute rehabilitation or outpatient neurologic rehab preferred.
Magee Rehabilitation Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Mail, Email or fax your resume to:
Magee Rehabilitation Hospital
1513 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Fax Number: (215) 587-9471