Shadowing (Observation) Opportunities - Volunteers
Shadowing (Observation) Notice: Applications for shadowing are now open through November 30, 2018 for the January through April 2019 session. Click for more information about Shadowing Opportunities.
Thanks for your interest in volunteering at Magee in the Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Therapeutic Recreation, Art Therapy, Horticulture Therapy or the Nutrition department. Orientation for shadowing positions will be held in December, April, and August of each year. Placements will run September through December; January through April; May through August.
Shadowing opportunities are limited to a total of 60 hours per student. We ask for a minimum commitment of four months of service and a minimum of 100 volunteer hours total. The minimum time commitment for the shadowing and non-clinical areas is two 4-hour shifts a week for a total of 100 hours (including shadowing hours). You must be able to commit to volunteering on a weekly basis.
- 60 Shadowing Hours: 6 shadowing hours a week; 4 dining over 10 weeks = 60 hours plus + 40 hours in dining
- 40 shadowing hours: 3 shadowing hours a week over 13 weeks; another 5 hour shift each week for 13 = 40 hours + 60 hours in other areas (transport; dining activities)
- 20 shadowing hours over 13 weeks = 20; another 6 hour shift each week for 13 = 78 hours (transport; dining activities)
Please note that general therapy patient treatment hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM. There are no evening hours, but limited weekend opportunities may be available for shadowing and volunteer hours. Please note there may be a waiting list for placements in the departments listed above. Nutrition hours vary on weekday and weekend hours.
HOW TO APPLY:
Include the name of Therapy Department: PT, OT, TR, Art, Horticulture, Nutrition, Speech and follow the instructions below:
- All volunteers are required to submit a Child Clearance Background Check and provide the VDS with a copy of your report. The report is free of charge for all volunteers, and should arrive within 14 business days.
- Complete the Online Volunteer Application and include:
- If you can observe in an In-Patient (1513 Race Street) or an Out-Patient (1500 Columbus Boulevard) setting
- Total number of hours you need to complete and when you need to complete the hours by
- Days and times you are available
- Total hours per week you can volunteer
- Provide us with proof that you have a current flu vaccination during flu season (October -May). You are required to get the flu vaccination on your own. If you have not received the flu vaccine by November 1, you will no longer be permitted to volunteer at Magee. You may be reinstated to your volunteer placement when proof of vaccination is provided to the Volunteer Services Department.
- If you are applying for a volunteer position in Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Therapeutic Recreation, Nursing, or Speech Therapy, write a letter, including your name, address and telephone number, a brief statement of your reasons for wishing to volunteer at Magee, related volunteer or paid experience, and the days and hours you are available to volunteer. Also, please include a copy of your valid school ID. Please note there may be a waiting list for these positions.
- *If you are a student, under 18 years of age, you must complete the permission form and have it signed by your parent or guardian.
- Upload your resume, if you have one.
Send all of these materials:
- Via upload with your the online volunteer application.
- Scan all pages and email to email@example.com
- Or mail or deliver to: Volunteer Services, Magee Rehabilitation, 1513 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102-1177
Magee Rehabilitation Hospital performs background checks on all volunteers once a position is determined for the volunteer. All interested volunteers must attend an orientation session at the hospital prior to placement. Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Magee Rehabilitation Hospital. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 215-587-3140.